For local writers or self-published authors who want to make the leap to getting published and improve their creative writing. Local author and editor Ian Thomas Shaw will examine the elements of writing fiction that will be of interest to publishers.
• The difference between literary fiction and genre fiction
• Read before you write - studying the style of winning writers
• Figure out the basic setting and plot
• Decide what point of view (POV) you want for your story
• Create a plot outline - Plot diagram or snowflake method
• Create flawed characters and unique story ideas
• Find and use beta readers to refine your novel
• Use technology to clean up your manuscript
Local author Ian Thomas Shaw is a novelist and editor. He is also the founder of the Ottawa Review of Books and Deux Voiliers Publishing. His latest novel, Quill of the Dove, has been optioned for a TV limited series.
Thursday November 14, 2019 6:30 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.